How to Apply Online
Applying online is simple, and takes less than ten minutes.
If you're a single applicant and have sufficient ID, we should be able to verify your identity right away, giving you access to your account immediately. If you're an existing customer, save time and apply directly via Internet Banking.
What you’ll need when applying online:
- You must be at least 18 years old and a permanent Australian resident (for tax purposes) with an Australian residential address.
- You need a current, valid email address that we can use to update you on the progress of your application.
- Optionally, have your Tax File Number and/or Tax Exemption details on hand. You can provide this later by calling the call centre or visiting your local branch. If you don’t provide it, we must by law deduct from any interest we pay you, an amount of tax calculated at the highest marginal rate plus Medicare levy and send it to the Australian Taxation Office.
- If you are a single applicant, we may be able to verify your identity online, saving yourself a trip to a branch or Australia Post. Please make sure you have the following before you start the application:
2. Drivers Licence
- If you’re applying for a joint account (two account holders), you can still apply online but you’ll both need to visit a branch or Australia Post Office to verify your ID before you can get full access to your account.
What happens next?
- Once you've submitted your application we'll email your new BSB and account number straight away, along with a temporary access code to access Internet Banking.
- If we can verify your ID online, we’ll let you know right away and post you a new Visa Debit card if you open an Everyday Options account.
- If we can’t verify your ID online, we'll provide you with simple options on how to complete the ID process once you’ve submitted your application.
Need More information?
- You can choose to open a single account or a joint account online. Only single accounts are eligible to be verified online.
- If you’re opening a 55+ account, at least one account holder must be 55 years or older.
- To help verify your identify online, we’ll use information from the Australian Electoral Committee and the Dun & Bradstreet Credit Reporting Agency.*
- If you don't have a current valid email address, open an account over the phone by calling us on 13 11 75 or visit your local branch.
- If you are verifying your identity in branch or at Australia Post, find out what identification documents are acceptable for opening an account.
- Find out who can certify your identification documents.
Things you should know:
We’ll issue you with a Visa Debit card when you apply online for an Everyday Options account, an Everyday Basics account, or a 55+ account.
^Legally the Bank is required to collect your identification information. If you don't manage to be identified and there is no money in the account, it will automatically close in 60 days from the date your account was opened.
*We will use information from Dun & Bradstreet Credit Reporting Agency simply to confirm your address and basic personal details, not to review your credit history.
Banking Products are issued by Suncorp Metway Ltd (“Suncorp Bank”) ABN 66 010 831 722. Please read the Product Information Document before making any decisions regarding this product. Visit your nearest branch or call 13 11 75 for more information. Terms and Conditions, fees and charges apply, details are available on request.